Age: 3 years
Stats: 38 lbs. 4 oz. (96th percentile), 39.25 inches (94th percentile).
Clothes: I think, just maybe, your growing has stalled a little. You’re wearing 4T-5T in everything (mostly 4T, but sometimes you wear a 5T in pants), but that hasn’t changed in a good six months. You’re a size 9 in shoes. You don’t normally pick out your clothes, but you do pick out your socks and shoes – which most of the time results in you looking like a crazy person (think rainbow-colored Yoda socks with black patent leather Mary Jane dress shoes). You request to wear Colts attire on Sundays (Momma’s girl!), and are still partial to your Anna pajamas with the cape.
Nicknames: D. Some people call you Dot, and some Buns (#dbunny), but 98 percent of the time we call you D.
Sleep: You gave up naps nine months ago. January 2016 was a rough month for mommy! Occasionally I’ll get you to nap when I can tell you’re extra tired, but only if I bribe you with something fun for the evening (like, “If you take a nap, we’ll get to go fishing at Mamaw and Papaw’s tonight!” or “If you nap, we’ll get to go to Disney World in three months!”). You’re SO particular about your sleeping situation at night. The pillowcases must be right. You require three specific blankies, AND your purple cow/donkey/horse/giraffe/we’re not sure what it is named “Guy.” You must have socks on. You always need your nose blown. The fan has to be on. And, you still take a tiny sippy of milk with you to bed. One day, we’ll break that habit. I hope.
Favorites: You still love LEGOS, and sometimes you even play with the big kid version (Momma hates this, because I find tiny LEGOS in my rug for days). Most of the time, you play with your “guys” in the Little Tikes Disney Castle Brynzlee got you for your last birthday. You love the Disney princesses – with your favorites being Snow White and Rapunzel. You love tractors, combines, backhoes and bulldozers, and point out every one we see. You love playgrounds and bounce houses. And, maybe more than anything, you love watching YouTube Kids on your iPad.
Other Fun Facts:
– The biggest thing to happen to you this year… you became a big sister! You’re still jealous when Frances is getting all the attention, but you’re starting to help by bringing her teething toys and talking to her. It’s a work in progress, but someday you’ll love each other.
– You might be the pickiest eater alive. For real. Your only meat consumption comes from chicken nuggets (preferably the McDonalds kind) and pepperoni. You love pasta, fruit, yogurt, waffles, crackers, and PB&J. You’re a total sweet tooth. I’ve tried having you help me make dinner, and letting you try all the ingredients so you know you like them, but you still have a meltdown when we try to make you eat whatever it is. Really, you always eat a huge breakfast and then eat practically nothing the rest of the day.
– You’re potty trained! After your sister was born, I got sick of changing two sizes of diapers REAL fast. So, I took away the diapers and just put you in big girl panties – and it worked! For every 10 poops in the potty, you got a new princess dress (that I bought at yard sales for $3 a piece!). You still wear a Pull-Up at night, but I’m willing to deal with that for awhile in exchange for no diapers.
– You went to Walt Disney World for your birthday! Your favorite rides were the People Mover, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Frozen Ever After (which we rode three times). I will never forget the look of joy on your face when you met Snow White while wearing your new Snow White dress (the thought still brings tears to my eyes). You so enjoyed being an only child again for a few days, as you made sure to tell your dad and I how much you loved us at every turn. Mommy can’t wait to take you and your sister back!
– You go to school three mornings a week now, and you just love it. Not only do you talk all about your teachers, Miss Shannon and Miss Amy, but you’re starting to talk about your friends (which happen to be all boys…Remington, Noah, Jacob, Kaisen…). You’re also taking Ballet, Hip Hop and Tap at Grammy & Poppy’s studio, and you’re a favorite among the older dancers. It’s like you have groupies!
– You have the longest, craziest blonde hair. I put it up every morning, and it’s a wild mess by noon. Every. Day. Half of me wants to cut your hair to try and tame it/thicken it up (you’ve only had one small hair trim at this point), but the other part loves your super long hair.
– The ‘tude is real. “Threenager” is looking like it might be our most challenging year yet!
Happy birthday (yesterday), Dorothy. We love you – always and forever.
She’s such a cutie!
Heather Hammel says
Happy Birthday Dorothy! The only meat my sister would eat was McDonald’s chicken nuggets too! All she ever wanted were mainly pringles, McDonald’s chicken nuggets and french fries, spaghetti, and pizza. She wasn’t a breakfast person though. She rarely ate breakfast and still usually doesn’t or just has something super small or non-breakfast-like like chips.
Samantha Cotten says
That’s pretty much Dorothy’s diet, in a nutshell! Hopefully she outgrows it sooner than later. Is your sister still a picky eater?