Pre-motherhood, I switched out my purse every few months. However, for the last 18 months, I have rocked this J.J. Cole Caprice Bag in Silver Drop. I’m pretty proud that my $60 diaper bag has lasted this long, because the fact that I have managed to live with a single bag for a year-and-a-half is nothing short of a miracle.
But now, I am officially OVER my diaper bag.
My J.J. Cole has withstood the test of time. I don’t actually hate it, because it has been super durable, stayed mostly clean, and has served its purpose for the first year-and-a-half of my daughter’s life. But, now that we’re able to leave the house most days without taking much more than diapers and a sippy, I think it’s high time for momma to have something she likes.
And right now, I really like brown leather.
Yes, I still need a pseudo-diaper bag. Diapers are still an essential item for a toddler. But why does it have to look like a diaper bag? I currently have my eye on these FIVE beauties that I think would fit the bill, but only two of them are actually diaper bags. Can you guess which ones?
1. Magnolia Market – Joanna’s Favorite Bag ($195) – This is my front runner, because I love everything Joanna Gaines does. And if this bag is her favorite – with her HGTV show, business, farm and umpteen kids – I would say it would work for me too. PS: who doesn’t love Fixer Upper?! It’s just a basic, quality leather tote, but I would customize it into an “almost” diaper bag by adding a cute zippered pouch (like this one!), and some sort of diaper strap.
Did I mention this bag is handmade in Ethiopia by at-risk women? That alone makes me love it even more.
2. Lily & Jade – Elizabeth in Camel (on sale $295) – Okay, yeah. Pricey. But, the reason I love this bag is because a.) it actually is a diaper bag and could be used for future baby C’s, and b.) the diaper bag “guts” come out. Like, the waterproof organizer is removable… which makes it a fantastic leather purse.
3. fasionABLE – Mamuye Tote ($178) – My bestie turned me on to this company, which creates sustainable businesses in Africa. The Mamuye Tote (all of their products are named after women fashionABLE works with) is pretty similar to the Magnolia Market bag, but it comes with a detachable leather pouch for organization. And it’s cheaper. And it’s gorgeous.
And it’s not a diaper bag. 😉
4. Pottery Barn Kids – Grey Canvas Leather Tote ($99) – Also a diaper bag, but not as obviously. That’s important to me. This tote would be smaller than my current bag, and could be monogrammed (which is always fun).
Who knew Pottery Barn has diaper bags?
5. Nordstrom – Street Level Reversible Vegan Leather Tote & Wristlet ($48) – If any of you follow Jessica over at Little Baby Garvin, she uses this bag all the time. Because, hello? REVERSIBLE?! Camel and Mint?! What better option for someone who changes her mind all the time?
It’s also the cheapest, so I’m sure my husband is rooting for this one.
How did you transition from a diaper bag? What type of bag and organization works for your mom-on-the-go life? Has anyone found a diaper bag that doesn’t obviously look like a diaper bag yet? Because let’s face it – they’re ugly.