This is a public service announcement. Yes, I am still pregnant.
Even though I have heard that whatever-percentage-you-dream-up of first pregnancies go over 40 weeks, I never considered myself actually being one of those women. Maybe that’s just me being naive, but I really thought I would have this baby early…or at least on time.
You see, I’m a very punctual person. In fact I’m normally early to everything for the fear of being late. My husband? Not so much.
Clearly, Baby C is her father’s child.
Of course, being now four days overdue, I have had plenty of time to research “natural induction techniques.” You name it, we’ve probably tried it. For example:
1. Bouncing/sitting on the exercise ball – While this actually is one of the more comfortable places I can sit in our house, I’m convinced it’s doing nothing to speed the process up.
2. Spicy foods – Yats, Buffalo Wild Wings, and even “spicy’ chocolates from Godiva (courtesy of my brother-in-law Trace). Nothing but heartburn.
3. Walking – Bethany and I walked the mall last week. Courtny and I walked the neighborhood several times. Mom and I walked Carmel City Center on Friday. I walked Boo ‘N Brew this weekend. Nothing.
4. Pedicures – Well, at least my piggies look nice.
5. Doing the deed – You would think that what got me into this state of misery might help get me out to the other side… wrong.
6. Full moon – Nada.
7. Red wine – While I can’t say this didn’t totally work (because wine ALWAYS is a winner), let’s be honest. It didn’t work.
8. Red raspberry leaf tea – I know this doesn’t necessarily put you into labor, but it was worth a shot. And, in my opinion, pretty delicious.
9. Pineapple – I know you supposedly have to eat something like seven pineapples in a day for this to actually work, but a little here and there can’t hurt. And obviously hasn’t…
10. Membrane sweep – The doctor swept my membranes on Friday to try and get things moving along. If I was meant to go into labor, it would have happened within 48 hours. Friday night, I was sure it was working. I was in pain, I was having contractions, and Courtny wouldn’t take his shoes off for fear of us needing to leave in a hurry (he’s not anxious or anything). We went to bed, and I woke up Saturday morning feeling just fine.
Guess what? NONE OF THEM WORK.
So, unless little miss princess decides to get a move on in the next 24 hours, it looks like we’re going in for induction tomorrow night. I’ve resigned myself to this, actually, in hopes that me giving in will make her change her plans…
I’m not sure what induction will do to my “birth plan.” I use that term loosely because at this point, I’m up for whatever gets her out. Maybe I’ll continue with my natural birth plan. Maybe pitocin will be too much and I’ll attempt the epidural. Maybe I’ll end up with a c-section.
Either way, I’ll have a baby at some point on Wednesday. Hallelujah.